Friday, March 19, 2010

SxSw - Day 4: Man Oh Man Man!!!




We are coming to the end of our stay in Austin. It has been something to remember. When, starting out on this journey, we had very little information and very little expectations. We didn't know what was in store for us. Especially, between us and the road. We have come realize that there are only two things that matter: Are you going to do it or not?

Here in Austin, everything is a different. The streets are in a funny kind of grid, the people are kind, but at the same time can be as blunt as a bullet to the head. They tell you like it is and they don't hide if they don't like you.

The biggest difference between Boston and Austin is size. Austin is like 20x bigger than Boston. This makes things hard to get around. When you want to go to a show, you better be ready to commit to it. You don't have the ability to just turn around and go somewhere else, even though there many clubs right next to each other, there are hundreds of clubs (or at least it seems that way.) There is basically, live music being played on every block of Austin for miles.

Today, we decided would be our last day in Austin. We are longing to be back in our beautiful New England and really miss all the things that we hold dear there. Oh, and we need to get to work, these bands are showing us that we have a lot to learn and work to do!!!!

Today the group split up the most it has the whole time we've been down here. James went to hang out with #1 Dad in a beautiful gated community. Paul, went to busk and make some money to buy a pizza. Andrew went to find his true self on the streets and corners and just found the car and fell asleep for 4 hours. Al went to work and promote for the last time Polk Records and StreightAngular.

It was crazy how things just came together.

I walked from the garage where we parked the car to Sixth Street ready to document the whole phenomenon called SxSw.

I walked from the beginning of where the mayhem starts on sixth street which is blocked off so that people can just walk around to all the clubs and bars.

There were so many different kinds of people, just walking around and feeling groovy. Music of all kinds blearing out of the clubs that was combined by the music the street musicians were making could be seen as over stimulous , but that's what SxSw is all about it is a crazzzzzzy mess! It's the most beautiful thing ever. Imagine live music being played on every corner and in every bar, restaurant, cafe and club. The world would be a better place and being a musician would actually seem like a reasonable career.


I walked video taping for a long time, just handing out CDs until I came to stop in front of a band of five people led by a singer in a chicken mask. They played really fun music and were goofy enough to be entertaining.

Behind me on River Street was a guy holding a sign that said , "Free Hugs". A bunch of people went up to him and hugged him. I went to. It actually comforted me. It's very difficult trying to make a connection in a place where everyone is trying to be heard or seen.

While, I stood at the cross streets of River and Sixth, I overheard some really powerful music. It wasn't anything coming out of a bar, or coming from a street musician, because I looked around and saw that it didn't sound like any of them. It was actually really powerful and coming from far away. I decided to go find where it was coming from.

I walked up Sixth Street toward the expressway over pass. As, I walked there were two friends next to me that were talking about going to see Billy Bragg. I only knew Billy Brag from a song I downloaded that he made with Wilco a few years back. I thought how great it would be to see him.

As, I walked down the street I heard the singer say that it was America's duty to help make the world a better place and that we had to stop being cynical. I thought, "Wow this guy is really letting us have it!"

When, I got to the show there was a fence that surrounded the field of the concert. I followed the fence until i saw an opening. I saw the exit only sign, but that never stopped me, so, I ended up sneaking in to the "Mess with Texas" show and saw Billy Bragg, Frightened Rabbits, Man Man for free.

The show was incredible and I was amazed at how much music was available for free at SxSw. I wasn't sure what I would be able to see on a low budget, but that shows what a little determination and wit can get you in life. The show ended around 10PM and I was ready to go back to Boston. We talked of leaving at 3AM, but maybe we could get a head start on the 36 hour trip.

After the show, I met up with Andrew at the Library, a cool club with pool tables and free wifi. I didn't feel like I needed to do anything else. I had fulfilled all my desires in Austin. I met so many people, made connections, saw so many amazing bands, rocked really hard on the street, ate some really crazy food and saw a lot of smiles.

The Points North stopped by the Library and we got a tip that Andrew W.K. was going to be playing a secret free show at a Coop in Austin called the 21st Street Coop.

We had wanted to leave that night, so we decided that we would go check out the place and if it was easy and early enough it would be a great way to end our trip. Paul had arrived and we ran into James on the street.

I was so hungry that I went to by a sausage sandwich at a stand. As, I waited in line, I spoke with the man who was collecting the money. I told him, I had been there before earlier in the week and that I loved his food. I decided to give him a Streight Angular cd. He put my order in and when it was done, he said we were even and he didn't charge me for the sausage. It was incredible!

So we all walked down Sixth street for the last time and we said our good byes to the street performers and free hug givers.

James went with Michael and we went to the garage. "Wait! We have all our stuff in the car!!! We have six people who need to fit in the car. We are a little "tipsy" as Kesha would say. Are we really going to drive down to 21st street like this at Midnight in Austin on a Friday night?"

Little did, I know that my night was just beginning and that my time in Austin was going to get a lot more exciting and dangerous.

Our lives were changed forever...







A. Polk

No comments:

Post a Comment